Compared to women, the average man pays less attention to his health than the average woman. Men are more likely to smoke or consume alcohol, make risky choices and not see a doctor for regular check-ups.
Regular check-ups and screening tests can spot diseases early when they are easiest to treat. These symptoms if they ever crop up are good reasons to fix an appointment with the doctor.
- Shortness of breath: This can be harmless sometimes, but unfortunately in recurrent instances, heart or lung conditions have been discovered to be the culprit behind shortness of breath. Acute cases (when shortness of breath suddenly occurs) can be caused by asthma, heart failure, obesity, pneumonia, upper airway obstruction, e.t.c. Tuberculosis, pulmonary hypertension and lung cancer are examples of various diseases that can make one experience difficulties in getting air.
- Frequent Urination: Racing to the rest-room is not unusual especially when it feels like the bladder is about to explode but making such trips numerous times in a day could be an indication of a serious health problem. If you begin to urinate more than seven times a day or anything different from the usual amount of trips to the bathroom could be a red flag. Diabetes, an enlarged prostate or urinary tract infections could be responsible for the frequent bathroom trips. You need to see the doctor especially if you feel any pain while urinating or begin to see blood in your urine.
- Weight Loss: We all want to lose a little weight here and there especially around our mid-sections, but an unexplained weight loss is usually one of the first symptoms of various diseases so when you are not sure of what might be causing yours, the appropriate thing to do is to see your doctor.
- Erectile Dysfunction: The process of sexual arousal in men is quite complicated, this is because it involves the brain, nerves, hormones, muscles, emotions and blood vessels. So an erectile dysfunction could be as a result of the malfunctioning of any of these. Although stress, anxiety, and obesity could be a cause of erectile dysfunction, fixing an appointment to see your doctor is the best way to seek and find solutions.
- Breast Mass: The popular consensus is that cancer is more common in females, that might be true, but it is no longer uncommon for males as well! If you feel a tissue thickening/ lump or me your breast begins to have discharge; booking an appointment should be your next course of action.
So do not be that average man — take a step towards protecting your health by seeing your doctor today!